Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Fact of The Matter

I just returned from a family ski trip in Steamboat, Colorado. The flight from Chicago was direct to a town about 30 minutes from Steamboat. Everything went smoothly, we were on time, arrived early, no baggage issues. But an interesting thing happened at the United counter when we were checking in. The United agent, a very nice, overworked/uninterested/friendly woman, said we were all set and have a nice flight. But we had no boarding passes. She had forgotten to give them to us. As she printed out the tickets, she noticed a discrepancy, two tickets were premier class, and two were coach/regular tickets. She took the tickets back, mumbled incoherently, and I asked if the flight was full. She said no, without quesiton, and handed us four tickets, all premier class. This was in stark contrast to our flight to Colorado where the flight was maybe 40% full, and sitting in coach, one row behind the emergency exit, the male steward rebuffed my request to move forward one row, one empty row citing "an upgraded section" blah blah blah. I pressed with genuine sincerity with the old good samaratan rebuttal. My neighbors were impressed. I was turned away again.

The fact of the matter is that I could have just sat down in the emergency exit and no one would be the wiser. But I didn't, and I should have. A lesson to the world, you can either wait on old ladies to take an extra step or you can just simply sit down and play dumb. If you can tell me which one is dumber, then you're already there, aren't you?

No comments: